Skillshare courses I have been loving
- Boost Personal Branding by Coding Your Own Website (HTML & CSS Basics)
- Off the Grid: Understanding Facial Features for Freehand Portrait Drawings
A thought that has been recurring
That it is important to balance learning new skills with mastering skills that I have already started to develop.
Some good news amidst all of the negativity in the world this past week
Geetanjali Shree is the first Indian author to win the International Booker Prize. My grade 10 english teacher texted me this (thanks Ms. McMillan)
Aloysius wrote this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeEMLPKutQL/
Books I have read
Trevor Noah - Born a Crime
Good if you are looking for a narrative set in the backdrop of a South Africa that is transitioning from Apartheid oppression. Less funny than the Ali Wong memoir listed below.
Ali Wong - Dear Girls
Quite vulgar and blunt but also quite funny–she definitely has a knack for writing. The idea to frame the memoir as a letter to her girls adds a very wholesome touch and also makes the vulgarity even more outrageous. The level of personal honestly also quite refreshing.
Shel Silverstein - The Giving Tree
Didn't realize how controversial this children's book is. Definitely take the time to read some of the 'hot takes' online.
Books I am still reading (ughh)
- Thomas Piketty - Capital in the 21st Century
- Henry Thoreau - Walden
- Malcolm X - The Autobiography of Malcolm X
- Steve Martin - Born Standing Up
- Shakespeare - Shakespeare's Sonnets
My gym workout philosophy has been altered.
I am no longer doing legs every day. My new goal is hitting 5 pull-ups and 10 dips. Almost all of my movements are still compound motions except for the rear deltoid fly machine.
The new plan:
- Negative dips (5 sets of 10)
- Pushups (30 total, as few sets as possible)
- Cable flies (2 sets of 7 at a high, middle and low setting; 6 sets total)
- Front squat (really focusing on improving this)
- Split Squat
- Dumbbell/Roman Deadlift (normal and single leg)
- Negative Pull ups (30 total, as few sets as possible)
- Lat pull downs (4 sets of 5 reps)
- Bent over rows (4 sets of 5 reps) OR Chest supported rows (4 sets of 5 reps)
Shoulders (usually worked on the same day as another muscle group):
- Lateral raises (3 sets of 15)
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press (3 sets of 10)
- Rear Delt Fly (machine exercise; 3 sets of 10)